Throw away that oragel! Use these tried and trusted Natural remedies instead! Here are several various ways to relieve teething pain without turning to Orajel or other typical mainstream remedies.
Baltic Amber Teething Necklace
— Sold locally at Baby Junk, Essentials Family Chiropractic and Milkworks O.
- Naturally soothes teething pain
- Analgesic & anti-inflammatory effect
- Made to wear but not to chew!
Amber is not a “stone” but a natural resin. So as it warms with the body’s natural temperature, amber releases its healing oils (these oils contain succinic acid )which are easily absorbed into the skin and then into the bloodstream. Baltic Amber has some of the highest concentrations of Succinic Acid found in nature, and this is what makes it so special. Succinic Acid is a natural component of plant and animal tissues, and it’s presence in the human body is beneficial in many ways.
Amber is also known to reduce inflammation of the throat, ear and stomach and to fight irritation, infections and respiratory disease as it dramatically improves the body’s immunity. Natural amber beaded necklaces are a completely non-invasive remedy for side effects associated with teething, such as lack of appetite, upset tummies, ear ache, fevers and colds. Baltic amber is also a natural analgesic that will calm your child and is recognized by allopathic medicine specialists as antispasmodic and anti-fever. Many adults report improvement of arthritis discomfort in their hands when wearing amber on the wrists.
— Kate Bodmann of Land of Milk and Honey Herbs
For pain and crabbiness babies tend to respond well to Lemon balm tincture 2-3 drops rubbed directly on the gums. This can also help with the fever that some babies get when teething. Lemon balm tea frozen on 1/3 of a corner of a washcloth and given to the baby to gnaw on as needed. If the baby doesn’t respond to the milder Lemon balm and is still in distress then an external application of 2 drops of Lavender essential oil and 2 drops of Roman chamomile in a 1 oz bottle of a carrier oils such as almond oil but preferably St. John’s wort infused oil can reduce the pain. Proper dilution is imperative with young children since essential oils are so strong. Some choose not to use any essential oils in any application for children under 6 months. If choosing to try this method apply this blend using a roller ball applicator to the outer cheek/jaw line area over the area where the tooth is erupting. A common recommendation for tooth pain is clove essential oil. Do not use clove oil directly on teething children. It is not advised in any application for children under 2 and even then can be a mucous membrane irritant and cause skin sensitization. If subsequent congestion is occurring with teething then consider an application of Garlic/Mullein/St. John’s wort ear drops applied by fingertip over the child’s cheeks to assist with drainage. Rub in well and be sure to avoid the eyes.
Hylands Teething Tablets — Combination of the below single remedies. Ingredients:
- Chamomilla 30X — Hypersensitivity to pain, rheumatic discomfort, sleeplessness and nervous excitability. Relieves colic and teething distress in children.
- Belladonna 30X — Sudden onset of violent symptoms characterized by flushing heat and throbbing pain. Patient may have sore throat, cough, aches and fever. (also good for relieving ear infection pain and various other ailments)
- Calcarea Phosphorica 30X — Calc Phos is noted for its effect on the development of bones and teeth. It is essential for growing healthy bones and is useful for children. Calc Phos supports dentition and knitting of bones. Also good for sore throat and painful swallowing.
Hyland’s Teething Gel — The first and only all-natural teething gel on the market, this homeopathic formula contains no benzocaine. No sugar. No artificial flavoring. No dyes or coloring agents. No Parabens. Ingredients:
- Calcarea Phosphorica 12X HPUS — supports dentition
- Chamomilla 6X HPUS — for irritability
- Coffea Cruda 6X HPUS — for wakefulness and diuresis
- Belladonna 6X HPUS (0.0000003% Alkaloids) — for redness and inflammation
Boirons Teething Relief Camilia — Single dose liquid that you squirt into child’s mouth. Ingredients:
- Chamomilla vulgaris 9C HPUS — Relieves teething pains accompanied by irritability.
- Phytolacca decandra 5C HPUS — Relieves painful gums.
- Rheum officinale 5C HPUS — Relieves minor digestive disorder associated with teething.
- Ice wrapped in a light-weight cloth
- Frozen washcloths
- Wooden Teething rings
- Breastmilk Popsicle
- If eating solids you can feed cold fruits or veggies
- Organic plush teething toys that can be frozen
*Each family must decide for themselves what health protocols they feel comfortable with and choose to employ. This advice does not take the place of medical advice. If you are unsure consider contacting your health care provider to get their recommendations.